Okay, so last weekend, I decided to change webhosts for this website. Renewal was coming up and this was a perfect time to switch over. It was not exactly last minute either. There were some people who were compaining that the site was slow. For me, I was not noticing those issues.
I digged deeper into some stuff and found that the hosting company was big, was part of a big company. A company that has a whole bunch of different webhosting companies under them. When I started with them, it was not the case. There was more of a personal touch back then. I’d say, I was with them for at least 10 years.
So it was time for a change and one that seemed to have more of a personal touch and is not part of a big company. I am going to be spending about $3 dollars more, but the speed seems to have improved and that was the big thing that I was interested in. According to their website, we are running on a SSD drive whereas the other one, that was not the case. When setting up the DNS, they had 4 instead of the 2 I had before.
I will say this; moving over was not an easy task. I downloaded and uploaded everything via ftp. I actually accidently trip the filter to where they thought it was a virus. I actually reviewed that file and it did not look like one at all so I hit a false positive and IP banned me. Since I messaged back from my email, I ended up with two tickets. I had one of their support staff who was not going to admit that the filter was wrong so you are going to get a mixed bag when it comes to support staff and that happens anywhere. The file in question, looked like a remnent of an old theme file. The other ones were actually helpful and I learned something new that I did not know and they told me about the sftp so I will not trip the filter again. The thing is, I do not use the ftp unless needed to install a script or editing a file that needs be edited in that method.
Bad beginning, but they were on the ball. Not all support staff is the same. Some of them are not going to admit that they are wrong. In the end everything did get fixed and yes I did get my ip unbanned. I had to figure out I was IP banned in the first place. Here is the other thing, there was a site I was locked out of because facebook logins were not working anymore and this happened months ago. I was never getting the emails to reset the password. I figured out of a whim to see if I can get the emails to reset the password. Guess what, I got the emails which tells me that those emails were getting to my other host and they were never being redirected to me like they should have and yet they are working on my new host. I even had some people spoofing my email and I am not even getting that now from what I can tell. At least, I am not getting the email giving me errors as if I have sent emails.
The other thing is since I run wordpress on this site, when it comes to registrations, people are getting the emails and I do not have to use a plugin to accomplish that. The amount of files on the website has gone down drastically. I have not changed anything either and I am working on moving most of my images to imgur, but I have not moved them yet. I am still working on matching them up with posts and then once I have, then I will start moving them over. This host really is probably the best when it comes to running wordpress websites and these days, there are a lot of sites that do use wordpress.